Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Rainbow pixel quilt.

After finding my blogging mojo my quilting mojo returned. 
In the last few days I've created this quilt from the 2.5 inch (large) postage stamp squares I received in a swap from Copperpatch, Lifeunderquilts, PetitselephantsProcrasticraft, my Mum and another local friend.


I had a scribbled down idea of a pixelated rainbow swirl type arrangement that I wanted to try.
I started by sorting all the squares in colour order. After sorting there seemed to be an even proportion of each rainbow colour so I thought my idea might work.


I then laid them out according to my sketch, light colours to the centre graduating to darker colours around the edge of the quilt.  I sort of made a wedge in each colour and merged into the next.


There was some tweaking and photographing to make sure I had squares in the right spot. I added a few more rows at this stage as I still had quite a few squares left over.


Once I was happy I photographed small sections so I didn't forget my layout then sewed them into blocks of about 8 by 8 squares.  I thought some of these 8 by 8 blocks would have worked well as cushion covers.




With the leftover black, white and grey squares I made a pieced back, graduating tones as well.


I've quilted it already, just using diagonal straight line quilting.  
I think that is all it needs.
I'm thinking a black and white binding would look best but unfortunately I don't have anything in my extensive fabric collection that is going to work as binding so I'll just have to wait until my next fabric store visit to get some.  Once it is bound and I have my good camera back I'll take some more artistic photos.  
I-Phone photos will have to do today.
I can't wait to see what the other girls do with their squares.


5 comments:

  1. When your quilting mojo came back it came back in a big way!! It is absolutely stunning, you are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Julie - it looks GREAT!!!
    Love the back too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, Julie. And welcome back. My blogging mojo waxes and wanes. :)

    ReplyDelete