Friday, February 7, 2014

Our library comes to us.

Every now and then I'm going to write a few posts on our life here so we can remember the things we used to do.

Every fortnight we have a visit from our mobile public library.  Its an 80km drive to our nearest library so we are very lucky to have it come to us.  It pulls up out the front of the school which happens to be out my kitchen window as we live in the school grounds.
The kids get to visit and borrow and sometimes the little ones sit down and have a story in the truck.  The service is offered to everyone in the community not just the school children.  Being such a tiny school its great the kids have access to a larger library on a regular basis.  

The school also has a weekly visit from an Education Department library truck and teacher to give our teacher their release time which is needed as there is only one full time teacher and one part time teacher at the school.  Told you its tiny! 


There were two lady librarians on the truck today.  I'm not sure how many female librarians there are out there with their truck licence but I was impressed.  They visit two towns a day on a fortnightly rotation.

Inside its pretty much like any library but on a smaller scale.  Shelves of books, a kids section, DVDs, magazines, seats, air con and a borrowing desk.  Well, they still have to hand write our borrowings as there is no Telstra internet service in our town.  (Good on you Telstra!!) 
It pretty good, if they don't have something you want you just place an order and they bring it on the truck next visit.  All the rural libraries must be connected as I've ordered titles and they have come from The High Country Library!


Today I picked up a crochet book, don't be expecting anything too exciting from me, and a Call the Midwife DVD….to have on while I learn to crochet. It might be wishful thinking.  Lets see if I get anything done before the truck comes back.

9 comments:

  1. I've always thought the idea of a mobile library in a truck would be so exciting! I'm sure it is, but I'm also sure it's sometimes annoying waiting in between... thanks for sharing these glimpses into the life of your little community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in infants and primary school (1959-1966) we had a mobile library visit and I live in a city. I think it's great that they're still around. My Mum lives in a retirement village and the mobile library visited until recently - now the Council provides someone who delivers a bag of books, based on what she likes, to her every fortnight. I love "Call the Midwife".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it.
    I can remember walking down to the library truck when I was a kid in Elmore, Vic.
    Enjoy Call The Midwife - I loved it. The kids and Mr knew that was my time when it was on ABC. Unless the house was burning down or we needed an ambulance all issues were diverted to Dad for an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yarra Council (where I work) have a book bike! havent seen it yet, but I love that they have the 'bring the book to you' concept in the middle of the city too! Go the libraries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yarra Council (where I work) have a book bike! havent seen it yet, but I love that they have the 'bring the book to you' concept in the middle of the city too! Go the libraries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yarra Council (where I work) have a book bike! havent seen it yet, but I love that they have the 'bring the book to you' concept in the middle of the city too! Go the libraries!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great service, Libraries should be available to everyone. They are such a valuable resource. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. “Shelves of books, a kids section, DVDs, magazines, seats, air con and a borrowing desk.” – I agree, this is an impressive mobile truck library. It’s complete with almost everything that a child needs, and adults as well. Also, it is comparable to an ordinary library. What an amazing idea. And by the way, have you started crocheting?

    Darryl @ All About Air

    ReplyDelete
  9. this was super exciting for me to read, being in the library biz - I too wondered how many librarians would have a heavy truck licence! it looks super profesh inside - so pleased you have access to this great service!

    ReplyDelete