Monday, July 15, 2013

Holiday sewing - quilt and bags.

We have just had two weeks school holidays and spent some time in Melbourne and back at the farm.  We have caught up with family, been on Puffing Billy, been to the movies, shopped and just lazed around which has been nice.
I seem to have my sewing mojo back again.  The first project I finished was a quilt for a friend's first great grandson.  She chose the fabrics and we browsed Pinterest for inspiration and settled on square blocks bordered in white.


Its a square quilt that can be used as a play mat or large cot quilt.


Under the mulberry tree.
(Trying not to get it dirty!)


I did my usual trick and purchased normal width quilting fabric for the back.  I insert some of the front fabrics to make the backing wide enough to fir the quilt.  It saves paying for full width quilt backing and having heaps left over.


I love the blues and greens for a baby boy quilt.
We chose fabrics that aren't too babyish so the quilt should do him for a few years.


I made a hand stitched labels and must make some more for my own quilts.  I print the label on the computer, trace onto the fabric then stitch over. This is the easiest way to get a nice even text.


My friend also requested a quilt bag so I used this pattern and resized to make one to fit this quilt, it came up really well.

The other custom job I needed to finish on the holidays were four handbags for another friend to give to her co-workers.  I found this free pattern on the net and made it up in denim for myself to make sure it worked before I cut into the new fabric I bought.  I have to be careful as I am miles from a fabric store to go and get more fabric if I muck up.


My sample bag came up great so I proceeded.
The four bags are below.





I couldn't find the loops and slides anywhere other than E-bay.


Lastly, my blocks for the AusModBee having been rolling in.  These are all the blocks I have to date.  I'm loving how it is looking.  Pretty good for scraps from my stash.  I sent all participants a different combination of fabrics, they were allowed to make any type of star block they desired.  I can't wait to get it all together.  Its going to look very pretty on a certain little girl's bed.


Now I'm up to date with all my custom orders I'm doing some sewing for myself.  I'm making clothes for myself, tinkering with some UFO's and designing in my head some unusual outfits for Miss Five to use in some photo shoots.  We will see what comes of that.  I just need her to co-operate.

6 comments:

  1. My, you have been busy!
    They are all beautiful but I love the quilt!
    Good on you for finding your mojo. Mine wasn't hiding with it, was it? If so can you please pop it in the post.
    Cheers
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found it!!! Express posting now.

      Delete
  2. So many lovely projects I do LOVE the fourth bag absolutely fabulous fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that one too especially as it is for a teacher.

      Delete
  3. Wow those shoulder bags look amazing. love the style and the fabric choice.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just discovered your blog whilst googling pheasant tops for children. I can see you are very talented.

    ReplyDelete