Monday, October 1, 2012

Sweet sixteen.

My niece and I started this quilt for her bed about two years ago.  She chose the fabrics and pattern and I taught her how to blanket stitch appliqué.  Each time she visited she would take a few more hearts to appliqué, I did a few in between times too.  Its taken us a while but we finally got them done.  I had intended to have it finished in time for her to put on her queen bed in her family's new house, but that deadline passed a year ago.  With her sixteenth birthday approaching I thought it was a good time to get cracking and finish it for her.  Well I almost got it done.  Here she sitting next to me helping hand sew down the binding yesterday.  She's an excellent sewing student. 



She was thrilled with the finished product.  
I've also decided to make  "sixteen" quilts for her two brothers over the next few years.
Not in pink and purple with hearts!


The quilt has large appliquéd hearts in the centre and small appliqué and embroidered hearts in the small squares in the outer borders.


The back of the quilt looks a little like an airstrip landing field when photographed, it was made from the leftovers and a couple of fat quarters, it looks quite pretty with the stipple quilting through it.


Happy birthday Jam!  xxx


1 comment:

  1. You both did a great job. It is a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete