Monday, July 2, 2012

Quilt making for The Retreat Woodend.

In case you aren't up with the latest news, 
Abbe from Copperpatch is opening her own self contained house/crafters retreat in Woodend.  
She is holding an open weekend on the 14th and 15th of July 10-5pm each day.  

Why not pack up a car load of girls and come and join us.  Nibbles, drinks, two day crafty session with an amusing bunch of bloggers and a sticky beak at the house, could there be a better excuse for a day out.  


For more details go to


or contact Abbe
abbe@theretreatwoodend.com.au

Rumour has it she is doing as awesome giveaway soon too so keep an eye out.
Isn't it the sweetest  house.



My contribution to The Retreat decor is going to be a quilt.  
I'm keen to do another, sounds like there are lots of beds to cover.  

Abbe sent me the fabric, it Moda's Fandango.  I told her to send me something out of my comfort zone, I don't often work with big prints and bright colours.  I went with my trusty favourite, pinwheels.  Here they are laid out.  I pulled out the blurghy yellow and brown blocks and I've left a few complete layer cake squares in.   Problem is its a little on the small side, it would make a gorgeous colourful throw but not quite useful enough for a bed yet so I'm playing with sashings and borders to make  it bigger.


This is the brown backing/binding fabric Ab sent me, I think the print is too big to use it as sashing.  I love the snow flakes.  It might be best to use it as the backing.


Then there is the classic white option below.
Always looks pretty.


After some twitter chit chat I found this pink/red bolt with navy spots which is quite striking. 
Not sure its very sleep inducing though.
After all this playing around I'm tending towards the first photo with no sashing and just adding a couple of borders.

Waiting for your suggestions blogland.........


6 comments:

  1. I personally like the white sashing. I think it makes the pinwheels stand out a bit more and shows off the beautiful fabrics! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've recently made a quilt using Fandango and HST's and used a cream as the other half of the triangles and as sashing and it looks really good.
    I love your pinwheels, I'm not brave enough to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My choice is probably the white, second choice is the pink
    thats my 2 bobs worth
    Happy stitching - that house looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm working all that weekend or I would have been there.. :o( I'm in a clean cut mode right now so for me the white works best, very sleep inducing..!!
    Lizzie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would go a neutral, maybe a grey on it, and I am interested to see how it looks. I hope everyone has a great time but I'm off on a long awaited holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the no sashing option with a big border (and I wouldn't go dark as it looks so light and summery in the first shot) Beautiful fabrics.

    ReplyDelete