Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Ripping vs cutting?


Mum and Dad have just returned from some touring. Poor Dad, he's not allowed to go past a fabric shop. Their trips and stopovers are pretty much mapped out according to which towns have quilting shops. Anyway, today Mum was horrified when she purchased some fabric and the assistant/shop owner ripped the fabric she wanted to buy. After the first rip she said she preferred her fabric cut...so the lady allowed an extra 1 cm and continued to rip the next piece. She's decided not to return to that particular shop.

I've had a bit of a read on the subject and I realise ripping goes accurately along the grain but you do lose a portion along the rip where its all skewed. Some shops state on their web sites that they allow for this.

I prefer my fabric rotary cut too.

How about you?

13 comments:

  1. Definetly Cut...You Don't see Many Rip these Days.
    No Wonder Your Mum was Horrified...Your Dad is a Patient Man lol.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has to be cut for me and how lucky is your mum to have such a patient partner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely cut! I think the price we pay for fabric here in Oz, what waste to lose a strip of it because it has been ripped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate ripping, it looks awful. I recently bought some hanky linen and it was ripped looks terrible. Usually they cut not sure why this time they decided to rip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ripping is the way to do it in ALL shops in Argentina since there are no rotary cutters around! Any time I go and I see them do that I just want to cry, and I always need to buy more than I want to because it is awfully skewed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely cut - ripping should be outlawed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cut!!! There's way more waste than the half inch of fabric at the rip where the weave becomes unseated. When you fold a piece of fabric in half lengthwise that has been ripped, even good quality fabric will not line up evenly across the grain, so when you cut cross-grain strips, you waste at both ends of your fabric. I agree, ripping should not be allowed and if you don't have a rotary cutters, it can be scissor cut like it's been done for years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Contrary to all the other ladies I like my fabric ripped as I think the grain of the fabric is important to final sit of the object. Often cut fabric is way of line and is not straight when unfolded which to me is a waste of my money. I would rather allow another ten centimetres of cost and get to have the whole piece on grain.Of course some fabrics do not rip easily and should be cut as more is lost with the skewing than is worthwhile. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cut! The noise of ripping gives me chills...wussy that I am ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cut also!! Recently was going thru old stashes of fabrics & come across some ripped pieces - at either side of my fabric at some points was a good inch of unusable fabric - what a damn shame!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cut cut cut not rip rip rip for me.

    ReplyDelete