Saturday, January 22, 2011

Quilts are breeding here!


Mum arrived today for a few days stay. Along with her old (my new) Bernina Quilter Edition sewing machine. Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou Mum. xxxx
Not sure how I can repay that one.


In quilting news around here I have this quilt (above) to quilt. Its a compilation of blocks made by seven ladies in our quilt group. We all put some theme ideas and colours in a hat and drew them out. Our challenge turned out be to make a hand stitched/applique block using the theme "up the garden path" using the colours purple, red and yellow. We all nearly passed out when we discovered that but here is the finished quilt top. I'll do some close ups down the track. We all made a few pieced blocks and strips to help tie it all together. Its been about four years in the making but hey, we are getting there. The plan is to donate it to the local volunteer run fire brigade (CFA) and or bush nursing centre for fundraising.


I've also offered a soon to be eighty year old friend a quilt for her birthday this year. She's fairly partiular in her likes and dislikes so rather than surprise her I thought I'd let her choose the design. Earlier this year she won this quilt (above) in a raffle. She has it on a spare single bed and she has asked if I will make one to match for the other bed in the room. Mum brought a big bag of scraps up that I'm going through. With my own stash I should be able to pull off a fairly similar quilt without buying too much fabric.


Lastly, these are two quilts heading to the "Quilts for Queensland" flood relief. I made the nine patch blocks up ages ago from my stash. Mum has sashed them, added borders and quilted the one above. I'm going to quilt the one below. Hopefully they will brighten someones day when they get to their destination.


Looks like head down, tail up on the new sewing machine for a few weeks!!!

3 comments:

  1. Great sewing machine score Julie? What has your mother bought to replace the QE? All those quilts look wonderful and the nine patches will be very welcome in Qld.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your group quilt top is awesome Julie!! You all made the colors work! Love it! 8-)
    The other quilts are wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW way to go with all the quilts! Fantastic.

    I really like that quilt idea with your group. Might even get our stitching group doing something similar...

    ReplyDelete