Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Waiting

We had an incident here last night resulting in three hours hanging out in the local hospital emergency room. The seven year old, yes the seven year old, NOT the two year old, swallowed a coin. I didn't think there was much we could do but Nurse on Call suggested we pop into hospital seeing he thought he could still feel it in his throat. Just great, 8pm at night, one hour round trip by car to hospital, cold, foggy night and I didn't have a bag of emergency stitching to grab at the ready. I read Dear Fii's blog only the other day and thought what a great idea to have a little emergency stitching prepared for medical emergencies. Did I do it.....no.

After a three hours wait, the Dr. decided Mr Seven would be OK. Coins are smooth and don't usually cause to much trouble on their journey through. We just need to take him back to hospital if he gets any abdominal pain, he can have an x-ray in a week to see if its gone. I decided on a cheaper alternative and have borrowed a friends medical detector. I won't go into details. Parenting....don't you love it.

12 comments:

  1. I seem to remember my youngest doing something similar with a pebble. The older ones were playing shop, he thought he could eat the 'lollies'! Boys!!
    Lizzie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need a sieve?
    It's kind of like a savings plan since you can't spend what he eats but eventually you get it back....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ps. I have hilarious images of you, a kid pinned down and a metal detector. Maybe a giant magnet needed too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh no!!!!!!!!! I'm sure it will come out eventually - kids though! I gave keira money at mass for the plate last sunday and she turned to me smiling funny and had stuffed some coins in her cheeks! not funny and I quickly yanked them out and gave her a lecture!

    Corrie:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How scary, I was always afraid of that when my kids were small. We were always warned about it. Glad all is OK

    ReplyDelete
  6. oops,

    I can see you with that metal detector...detecting his...oh well its making me laugh out loud...
    Parenting is just so glamorous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry, but from this side, your story sounds so funny!!!! My seven year old is very interested in money. It is a shame we are so far away. He would save you the use of the "whatever" detector if you say he can keep what he finds!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. been there done that and all went well........although quite worrying for me until I knew it had gone thru........

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tis unsettling when these situations come about, and they always seem to be in the latter part of a day, so it makes for a late night... I hope it comes through ok there Julie...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, don't feel too bad about it. A girl in 6th grade at our school swallowed a quarter a few weeks ago. She actually had to have surgery to remove it because it was turned sideways and wouldn't pass easily!
    My first reaction was, "What in the world was a 12 year old girl doing putting money in her mouth!!!?? Gross!"

    So I guess it can happen to just about anyone. HOpe your little man does OK and that there are no complications.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Get his arm and lift it up and down like a slot machine and maybe you'll hit the jackpot! Sorry just my warped sense of humour! I'm sure it'll all come out in the end Hee! Hee!
    Good Luck to Mr 7!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh dear, hoping he 'pays out' really soon! now go and pack a bag of stitching because i work on the theory that when your prepared nothing bad will happen!

    ReplyDelete