We had an incident here last night resulting in three hours hanging out in the local hospital emergency room. The seven year old, yes the seven year old, NOT the two year old, swallowed a coin. I didn't think there was much we could do but Nurse on Call suggested we pop into hospital seeing he thought he could still feel it in his throat. Just great, 8pm at night, one hour round trip by car to hospital, cold, foggy night and I didn't have a bag of emergency stitching to grab at the ready. I read Dear Fii's blog only the other day and thought what a great idea to have a little emergency stitching prepared for medical emergencies. Did I do it.....no.
After a three hours wait, the Dr. decided Mr Seven would be OK. Coins are smooth and don't usually cause to much trouble on their journey through. We just need to take him back to hospital if he gets any abdominal pain, he can have an x-ray in a week to see if its gone. I decided on a cheaper alternative and have borrowed a friends medical detector. I won't go into details. Parenting....don't you love it.