Thursday, June 17, 2010

Anyone for soup?


If you are an avid reader of my blog may remember the earlier part of our pumpkin crop, above.
(Which we are still eating.)


We have had a couple of frosts which have killed off the plants and one or two of the pumpkins have split and couple started to go soft on the bottom where they were on wet ground, so I'd thought I'd harvest the rest today. The rest of the Queensland Blue variety are above, all just grown from seeds that sprouted out of the compost.

This is the rest of the Jap pumpkins, grown from a seed courtesy of a bought pumpkin last year.
Storage may be an issue.
I should see if I can do a deal with Mr. Safeway.
Not a bad crop if I do say so myself, and this doesn't include all the ones we have given away.


This was the mother of them all weighing in just under 9kgs.
The pumpkin, not the kid.

I just noticed almost every seat in the garden is taken.

9 comments:

  1. I think you should be posting a few pumpkin requiring recipes with this post! My mum used to make pumpkin cake and scones and soup with ours..loved em. Nice crop you've got there. Peta

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a huge crop! Great photo of your little one with the pumpkin too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Cinderella would be confused as to which to choose for her carriage!!! Ab x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh i love pumpkin soup, LOVE IT!! Delicious, we should be friendly neighbours sharing our bounty. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh i love pumpkin soup, LOVE IT!! Delicious, we should be friendly neighbours sharing our bounty. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a crop. What about a roadside stall? Do you think you will get them all eaten before the next crop?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa, what a crop, good job it's great weather for soup, pumpkin lasagne, pumpkin rissoto, pumpkin scones! Very versatile aren't they? hehe!!
    Lizzie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. wwwooowwww wonderful crop!!!! Try to make some money too, not just meals!!! Too bad I am so far away...I would take some home with me.
    I absolutely love the picture of Miss Muff with the pumpkin!!!
    Sorry to hear about your internet problems. We have become so dependent, you are right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness that is a lot of pumpkins Julie! Good luck with them! 8-)

    ReplyDelete