Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Tutorial - Making binding.

I haven't owned my binding maker for long so I'm no expert but I thought I'd write a little tutorial anyway.

Start by cutting your strips and join them together to your desired length. My tool came with a conversion table for strips width to finished binding width. I've been experimenting with various widths.
I've also just cut mine on the straight because its just to go around a table cloth. Depending on what you are going to use it for you may need to cut it on the cross.


Take one end and fold it to a point and push into binding maker, you may have to use a pin to pull it through.


Press the end poking out and pin to your ironing board. See above.


Gently pull the binding maker away from the iron, pressing as you go.
Sometime it goes through perfectly smoothly, a couple of times I had to tweak / jiggle it a bit to get the fabric to fold over evenly. Its still a lot quicker than doing it the other way.

Voila, binding.

8 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I've always wondered how well those work. I have a rolled hem foot on my sewing machine that does a similar thing to the edge of the fabric, except only on one side of course, and it seems to work fine for a short distance, then it stops rolling and the stitching goes off the edge. Maybe I just need to practice more! Love that fabric you made the binding with...very sweet!

    MGM

    ReplyDelete
  2. great tutorial, love the fabric too. I have just recently found about 50 miles of bias binding, all left overs from my mothers sewing days. Lots of colours, but all that horrid stiff stuff on the little cards. Must have been the thing to use once upon a time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one Jules. Now can you make and sew on all of my binding? Plllleeeeeeeaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeeee
    Ab x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I've looked at those little creatures and wondered how they worked. Did my first binding yesterday without a tool .... may have to get one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a couple of different sizes now and I love them, just so easy. I bought the first to do stems on the CWBQ and fell in love.....
    Lizzie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen one of those tools floating around at my sister's house - now I know what it is and what is does --- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where did you get that binding thing? It is very nice!

    jenniferblosser@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete