Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tutorial - Taking up jeans and retaining original hem.

The other day while Abbe and I were at lunch the cafe owner asked me a question because he knew I "sewed and stuff". He wanted to know if I could take up a pair of jeans for him but still retain the original hem. I had a play today and I think I've done it. Quite easy and looks really good. I've done a mini tute for anyone interested. Might be popular with trendy teenagers that don't want their jeans looking like Mum took them up.
Please ignore the frayed/well loved jeans I used.


Original hem on jeans.


Step one

Cut original hem off about 1/4 inch from stitching. (or about the width of your overlocking stitching.)

Step two

Cut main portion of jeans off to desired length.


Step three

With right sides together, stitch or overlock in my case the old hem back on to the trouser leg. Stitch as close as you can to the turned up part of the hem.


Step four

Press and admire handiwork.
How cool is that.

10 comments:

  1. That is a really cleaver idea, I must remember that for the next time I take some up, sure beats trying to match thread colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing, guess what I just cut off a hem and turned it the old style way today, should have read your blog first. Next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really good Julie ... can I just send mine over for you to do instead lol????
    Hugs,
    Joy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you make that look sooo easy. I think you'll have earned yourself an ongoing discount! Lucky for that sewin and stuff!
    Ab x :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I've been hemming jeans for years and never thought to do it this way! Thanks! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever, looks much better than just turning them up.
    Lizzie
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea. I'll have to get this a try. Jeans are the worst for taking up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aren't you an original one there! 8-)
    Shall I send you my jeans? lol!

    Happy stitchings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have just found you and your tutorial which I am now forwarding to some ... "vertically challenged" girls who will love you for it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much Julie, what a great idea.... as one who has to hem jeans/trousers OFTEN.

    ReplyDelete