Wednesday, January 6, 2010

January pickings.


After the kids go to bed I do the vegie garden maintenance, watering and picking. Its a nice cool time of day to be outside. I'm trying to keep a record of the vegies we grow during the year for future reference, the blog is as good a place as any. Our Christmas and New Year visitors have been receiving a bag/box full as they leave. We have had some very happy customers. I think half the fun of growing vegies is sharing them.

Onions, two types of zucchini, green beans, capsicum, eggs, carrots, tomatoes, golden nugget pumpkins, squash, celery, spring onions and not shown broccoli (cut up and frozen), cabbage, rhubarb, corn (nearly ready) blue and jap pumpkins. Lots of fruit ripening on the trees too. Note to self, don't grow continental zucchini next year, the traditional dark green variety are much nicer. Another note to self, trim back tomato plants to get more fruit, thanks Mum!

The sunflowers have also flowered.

10 comments:

  1. oh fantastic produce Julie, how plentiful & delicious!! just been chatting to Jo at Violet & Rose about vegetables as she has a bumper crop of cucumbers!! we're both having issues getting our tomatoes to ripen, but great success wtih herbs & capiscum. nothing like having children involved in the garden, we're watering everything twice a day as it's 30C+ every day in Canberra. thanks for nice comments about my children, i hope your children avoid losing teeth in such dramatic circumstances. love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lovely crop of yummy veggies, very cool stuff, great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummo I think I'm ready to give up on our vegies, you're very good to go out there and care for them at night! i'm pooped!
    Corrie:0

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great harvest! Peter does most of our vegie garden mainance at night too. He too left with a big box of zucchini's and tomato's to share with collegues and clients. He loves sharing (and talking) about his produce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look SO yummy to me...especially since we are in the worst of winter's cold weather right now. They make me think happy thoughts of summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow!!!! Well done! such a great picking you've got. Congratulations, a few more weeks and it's my first turn....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could go to Australia one day! But as I see on Border Secuurity, Brazilians are not particularly welcome there....Shame on Immigration, on the other hand, people from the above countries are entering the borders by the billions (laughs)...Just a thought, never mind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comments Julie, you should see my children when they all have teeth - much more attractive!!
    Are you going to offer up some images of the sunflowers?? I hope to visit Tuscany this year. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great crop Julie, don't you just love pics of veg? Fabulous still life, my sunflowers haven't flowered yet. I didn't get them in until late November but they are getting good and tall now, I reckon we might have flowers in February which will be nice.
    Lizzie
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. A bounty of beautiful veg! Well done!

    ReplyDelete