Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Shirred dress 4/5.

This is my first attempt at shirring.  Its easier than I thought.
Fabric compliments of Spotlight.  A Retromummy fave too.
I borrowed Corrie's spotty strap idea.  Hope she doesn't mind.
The pattern is my own, if you call a rectangle of fabric a pattern.


A close up of the shirring.  My lines are about 1cm apart and I did about 5inches of shirring.  Sorry for talking in cm and inches but I'm sure you will work it out.   I used two bobbins of shirring elastic for this dress alone.  Must buy some more next time I shop.  I want to keep this dress but its for a customer order so I'll hold on to my remnant and make another one to keep.


9 comments:

  1. Oh that is so cute! You've done a great job for a first attempt. I've never tried to do shirring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it! i've been meaning to whip up more before the markets and hope I get some more time. Do you rule your lines or just use the line you did before as your marker. Once I did the lines first but then went off course!!!!

    gorgeous! I do love those spots!

    corrie:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been meaning to try shirring, it creates irresistable little summer frocks! That is one lucky customer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous and the polka dot straps are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness... You did great! I think that shirring is rather challenging. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Julie! Wow - I remember having quite a few shirred sundresses like that one, well, not spotty, but same style. We always lived and holidayed in hot climate areas, so cool, comfy clothes were a must. Oh ... if you'd like to email me with your snail mail address, I have a few old paper dress making patterns to send you - my Mum was cleaning out her collection and after I said I knew someone who collected old patterns, she kept some aside for you, so I'll post them on down to you to play with. Hope you're having a great week - Bear Hugs! KRIS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie, I will blog a pic of what I made yesterday also, almost the same as yours, even the length!!! spooky

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic job you've done! Soo cute! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love the spots!! And your shirring is perfect! Who ever it is for is going to be very happy xox

    ReplyDelete