Friday, October 2, 2009

Scraps.

I've upturned all my stash to find bits to make yoyo's out of.  I have some fabulous prints on tiny scraps.  I often wonder why I have kept so many small bits.  Every time I think I should throw some out, Crazy Mum Quilts comes up with another stunning scrap quilt that I want to make.  So today has been a yoyo/button day in front of the fire.  Kids are helping....sort of.  Its cold and miserable outside.


I had a quick trip to the mechanic first thing this morning to get the car serviced and had a rummage in an op shop and picked up these patterns for 20 cents each.  


They are a range of sizes, 3020 will make a great snow white dress up dress one day.  


This one is pretty old but it doesn't have a date on it.

I'll never use them ALL but its great to have them on hand when you live out of town.  
Plus it beats paying $10 a pattern.


11 comments:

  1. There you go making me feel old again, lol! They are gorgeous, the older one is late '50s very early 6'60s I'd say, Mum had some the same. I love your yo-yos, do you use a yo-yo maker?
    Lizzie
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, that should be 1960s not 1660s, but you knew that didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow thats some serious yo yo making! love the patterns and still have yours here!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh !! Divine patterns, so exciting !!! See you on Monday with lots to talk about !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great collection of yo-yo's you have made and terrific patterns, too!!! I can't believe how expensive patterns have gotten in recent years....so it's great to find them in a thrift shop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. scraps...scraps....scraps!
    I have too many scraps, is there a rule as to how small a scrap should be, I can't seem to part with any little bits.
    Very cute yoyo's

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie I think I need to take a leaf out of your book and make lots of yoyos with my scraps. I have several clover yoyo makers and a tonne of scraps... but I keep thinking that I don't have a project for them. I guess if I make lots up, the ideas will come... hmmm, even making yoyo strings for the Christmas tree could be a good idea. Ha. I need never have idle hands in front of the TV again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a busy time you've had in front of the heater. Have you a grand plan for your yo-yos?

    The patterns are a great find - I remember seeing some of those in the pattern books as a kid. Mum would get the pattern books from the fabric shop when the new version came out and then she would draft the pattern at home rather than buying them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Showing my age here, but I had a dress like the one in the Weigel's pattern when I was a little girl (early 60s). Navy blue gabardine skirt and the bodice was made out of lightweight cotton and was like an undergarment. You would put a blouse or jumper over the top. Then you wouldn't have to wear a singlet. We all wore singlets, didn't we...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have fun with the yo yos, my friends who make them say it's addicting! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that bottom coat pattern. Some good finds there. I will add to bowerbirds comment. The skirts were always made out of really itchy fabric.

    ReplyDelete