Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Mini Tutorial - Fastening thread when hand stitching.



I've noticed a lot of stitchers (pattern designers included) that tie knots in the end of thread to fasten it. Depending on what you are stitching I find this can leave a lump or show through.  I thought I'd show you what I do.  I'm not sure if its right or wrong but I've been doing it this way for years and it works and there is no messy, lumpy bit on the reverse side of your work.  It will be very neat.  I like neat!

This only works for two strand stitching/embroidery.   
Cut off your length of thread and double it over.  

Thread the loop end through your needle (this is easier than threading two loose ends through).  

Pull your thread through so the cut ends are nearest your needle.

Take a small stitch on the back of your work and thread your needle through the loop as it pulls through. This will secure your thread.  

This is how it will look on the back instead of a  knot and it can't come undone.

Your first or catching stitch can actually make your first stitch on the right side of your fabric depending on what stitch you are doing.

How exciting..... my first tutorial.


10 comments:

  1. This is a good hint. Thanks for sharing with us and I will definitely try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So did not know that! Thanks Julie. Great tutorial xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOw that's clever! I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That makes so much sense (actually I was pretty thrilled with just the first step,)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats brilliant!! Thanks so much. I hate my usual messy knots and often end up spending ages trying to get them looking neater. Thats sorted my problem!! Thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job! That's a great alternative to the knot on the back.

    MGM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Julie, I'll be trying this with my very next stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to let you know that I used this method when sewing my son's patches on his cub scout uniform and it made for a much neater back, and no fear of the knot pulling out. This would also be great when sewing on buttons!

    MGM

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this is an old post, but OMG, I am so happy I found it. I have NEVER thought about doing this, but it's such a fabulous idea! Thank you so much, I think I'm going to get a LOT of use out of this idea!

    ReplyDelete