Monday, August 3, 2009

Wadding wonderings

OK time for another of my on-line surveys.  
I've read a few instances of bad wadding experiences recently.
It got me thinking about what and why people use certain types of waddings.
I only use 100% cotton.  I don't like polyester, I don't mind 100% wool but its a bit more expensive and I have heard bad things about bamboo wadding.  I've read it can ball up after washing.


I wash my quilts either by hand in the bath (especially if they have applique on them) or on a very gentle cycle in the washing machine.  I like to use Softly to wash them in, mainly because I like the smell and its gentle.  I just dry them in the clothes line, not in the dryer.  (Unless its a ragged edge quilt to fluff it up).  I don't pre-wash wadding either.

What do you do and why???????

10 comments:

  1. I use cotton batting only. It makes sense when you use cotton fabric and cotton thread, at least to me :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am usually a 100% cotton wadding girl...but of late have been using 1/2 cotton & 1/2 bamboo...not sure how it washes though...bamboo is a natural fibre so I don't have problem with it...
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too usually use 100% cotton, mainly because it's easy to hand quilt and I just love the feel of a quilt with a cotton batting BUT I have just used Bamboo for Sam's quilt. Fingers crossed it washes OK. I have to say that it's a dream to hand quilt and I love the way it feels now that it's finished, it's also much warmer than cotton (on the lap anyway). I've just bought a roll of cotton so I guess it's back to that for the next few projects!
    Lizie
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie I am such a lousy quilter I use whatever is on hand and throw everything into the machine . As I have only made a couple , I'm not much help to you .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like using Hobbs Heirloom Cotton 80/20 and I do wash all my quilts (hand quilted, applique or all machine done) in the washing machine ( I have a front loader) I also spin them, as dragging wet heavy quilts will put strain on your seams.
    Hope this helps, oh I had bad luck with Bamboo batting, it is bearding after wash.

    cheers
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to use cotton - mainly for price

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use mainly cooton, some machine quilted quilts have wool which I quite like. I tend to handwash with softly or a wool wash & lightly spin to remove some water.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well...So far...I have just been using a mixture of what has been in the closet...some cotton...some poly...the poly is a little wierd but ok....I have bought some 80/20
    to use next!
    You have a lovely blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Julie, I was my quilts on the gentle cycle with Wool Mix every spring....dry them on the clothesline on the backing side....works well for me....I use wool or cotton batting...and have not had any problems...I chose cotton for the quilts I send to Queensland and wool for the quilts I have made here in Victoria...Warm Regards Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's an award for you over at my place ;o)

    ReplyDelete