Saturday, April 4, 2009

Garage sale treasures


I stumbled on to a a girlfriends garage sale this morning and ended up buying two sewing machines.  
This one was $15, purely for display value.

This one cost me $3, and it goes!!!!!!!!!  A 1961 Singer.
I've been thinking about getting a second hand machine to have because sometimes when I am doing a quilt it is such a nuisance to take the quilt off, change feet, cotton etc if the quilt takes me a few days.  I thought I can't go wrong for $3.   I just want it for straight sewing, mothing complicated.  Its only 10 years older than my current machine.

There was a third machine but it had serious issues, bare electrical wires etc.  Not very pretty, Toyota brand, don't they make cars?  
So for a grand total of $20 I got two sewing machines, two Nylex tap timers, and some clothes and a pair of boots for Ellie Mae.  Not bad I thought.

11 comments:

  1. well you hit the jackpot!!
    I love the display singer... very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love a bargain! Well Done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Julie...great buys...couldn't be better!
    JUlia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I got more excited than you ! Love them , they are so beautiful .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you really had the garage sale fairies smiling on you today!!! The sewing machines are wonderful!! I sew on a 35 year old kenmore and love it to pieces. Thanks for sharing your finds!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you big spender you! lol! 8-)
    Nice finds! Good for you! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Score!! Well done. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Mum still uses her 1961 beauty, she says it sews a better straight stitch than her new (1980s) machine. I can actually remember her buying it in 1962, I was 12 years old and was given her treadle machine to use. Singer machines, like quilters, are made of strong stuff it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you! Wish I could find a few in my area. it's almost yardsale season so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have my Mum's that we are no longer using. Not sure what to do with it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the display Singer... and must confess: I use onbe just the same. I´ll show you in a short while.
    You really do a great job. Must go now but I´ll be back to seeing it all.

    ReplyDelete