Sunday, April 19, 2009

Crafty little things


I mentioned on this post the other day about how I put an ad in our local town paper to buy old crafty/sewing items.  I've had quite a few phone calls and met some really lovely ladies and heard all their lifes sewing history.  One lady showed me a some tatting she made while droving sheep, it was stark white still surprising as it would have been pretty dusty shen she was making it.
Heres a few goodies I picked up.  Some old cotton ric rac (perfect on my new/old spools),  Some two coloured ric rac......never seen that before, some old wooden cotton reels  and a cute sewing travelling companion with press studs etc in it.

And this!!!
Do you know what it is?
It was half squashed in an old sewing basket.
Bit moth eaten but still very cute.
Have a guess and I'll reveal the answer tonight.

9 comments:

  1. How gorgeous they all are Julie. It's a thimble holder - isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Julie! Wow! Look at your treasures!! Over the years, I've been fortunate enough to aquire/be given lots of old sewing supplies - needles still in original packaging, cotton rick-rack, old buttons, lots of cotton on wooden reels ... perhaps I should share some photos on my blog sometime! Your treasures are wonderful! Hmmm ... the pink thing ... I would guess a little sewing caddy to hold thimble and needles (between the layers of felt) and the top almost looks like a wooden cotton reel covered in felt ... hmmm .. I love a good mystery! :0) Bear Hugs! KRIS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute as! Easy-peasy, see even the young ones know what it is - a needlecase and thimble holder! Won't I look silly if I am wrong?
    Hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too believe it to be a little needle book with thimble holder. I was lucky enough to be given a similar one made in fine green crochet by an old family friend before she passed away. They are real treasures to appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the girls have got it....I have seen a similar "thingamy-bob" for holding the needles and thimble....yours is very cute!
    I too love old sewing implements and found lots of similar treasures in my nan's sewing basket when she passed away.....all very special!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the bits'n'pieces- is it a needle book?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute as can be!!
    I love all old sewing stuff...the stories they could tell..
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete