Sunday, March 29, 2009

Open seams it is.


I think its official, there is not hard and fast rules for pressing seams when patchworking.  Thankyou everyone who responded, I don't feel like I am doing something wrong now as I had been told in the past.  This is all getting very technical, but here are my findings.

Pressing seams open.

PROS.
Great for getting a very flat, smooth quilt top.
Helps avoid bulky lumps that are hard to quilt over, no more breaking needles.
CONS.
Bit fiddly, takes more time. (especially small pieces)
Seams can fold over when doing more piecing. 
No good if you are planning to quilt by stitching in the ditch.  
 Seams can pull apart on the ends a little when you are pressing (I avoid this by making my stitch length shorter).


You might be able to tell from this photo that I am using a combination of both methods.  I did a log cabin and pressed the seams open to stop the bulk.  Then I have a row of one inch finished size squares (yes I know, what was I thinking) anyway I have pressed those seams towards the plain fabric so the seams don't open on the edges and make holes.  Hope that makes sense.

Special thanks to Julia for referring me to this blog which happened to have a recent post on the same topic.  Interesting reading too.  I sure you all need anther blog to add to your reading list like a hole in your head.  My list gets longer and longer, I can't bare to delete a few.  I wonder if anyone has come up with a name for this phenomenon yet.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, you've done it, Girlfriend - given me another blog to follow! Open seams - I like the way you have taken the bull by the horns and had a go! I tried it upon recommendation recently - must make a small quilt and put it to the test!
    Hugs - Lurline♥
    Ps - if a pic shows, notice it is a new one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep I always wondered what to do because with sewing clothes its always press them open but once I started quilting I realised that wasn't always right!!!!

    yay for being brave and asking! I was too scared at quilting group to ask one day when I was doing the bushfire quilt and I had seams going everywhere!!!!

    Corrie:)

    ReplyDelete