Thursday, February 19, 2009

Smokey afternoon


We had our own small fire drama here this afternoon.  My husband rang about 4pm on his way home wanting to know how close the fire was to our house.  He could see smoke coming from our direction.  I didn't even know there was a fire!!!!  I can see now how people get caught.  I went outside and could see the flames in the paddocks next door.  The wind wasn't blowing our way so I knew we were OK but it got within 10 metres around two sides of our neighbours house.  Everyone is OK, there are a lot of fences burnt and about 60 acres of land.  

A couple of the wives following the fire trucks around to make sure we were all OK which I really appreciated.  Off for a shower and bed.

7 comments:

  1. Glad is all OK - what a scare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Julie - this is all such a big concern - does it not worry you when you go to bed at night? Stay safe - hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear all is OK now...getting a bit close for comfort there...
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness!! Do you know what started it? Or is it just sooooo darn hot and dry there that it just happens?
    Great houses you are building, just watch your back! lol... 8-)
    Great photos with the grey Fergies! Quilts, the Clampetts, and all! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man Julie! Glad you're okay but that's a little too close to home, eh? Love the pics of the kids ala Beverly Hillbillies and your houses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! I am sooo glad you are all okay! That is just way too close for you and your neighbors. I'm glad you are all safe. I'd say it is time for the "Fire Fairies" to go somewhere else! Australia has had enough.
    love and hugs, from pink mucky boots (aka debbesushine) I took your advise, could help myself...had to change the name of my blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you're all safe, bit scary when it's so close. What a lovely thing for the firemen'wives to do, great community spirit!!

    ReplyDelete