Wednesday, October 1, 2008

How big are postage stamps?

I have decided I will sash the pin wheels, I've had the photo on the computer screen this morning and decided I like the look of them spaced out.  I might jumble up the colours too, the pink in the middle looks wrong because it is so much paler than the other colours.  I'm still open to any further suggestions.  

I have been thinking for a while that I would like to make a postage stamp quilt one day way in the distant future.  I thought I could start collecting postage stamps now.  What I want to know is what size are the "stamps" usually cut to.  From memory this quilt below had one inch finished squares.  It was stunning, as usual the photo doesn't do it justice.

If anyone else is interested in making one let me know and we can keep track of each others progress, maybe even trade a few hundred stamps with each other.  

I have started a postage stamp box in anticipation of this quilt being made one day.  How many do you think I will need?  

I just had a count, looks like about 3,500  eeek!!!



2 comments:

  1. One word.... "WOW"
    You don't put one of those quilts together one little piece at a time do you!?! ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Postage stamps are traditionally 1" finished. Making one of these is on my list of quilts I want to make.

    ReplyDelete